FANDOM


  • Last night, a fire erupted in Brazil's national museum, destroying 20 million specimens, many of which were fossils from the Mesozoic era. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2018/09/news-museu-nacional-fire-rio-de-janeiro-natural-history/

    Here is just the tip of the iceberg of what was destroyed:

    "Highlights of the MN's vert paleo collection & MCT pterosaurs:

    • the holotype of Caupedactylus
    • associated thalassodromine postcrania
    • a tapejarid postcranium with wing impressions
    • a referred skull to Anhanguera araripensis
    • the Crato "Brasileodactylus", which was probably actually Ludodactylus
    • the holotype of Brasileodactylus and two referred skulls
    • the holotype of Anhanguera blittersdorffi
    • the holotypes of Tupuxuara longicristatus and maybe T. leonardii
    • the holotype of Tapejara wellnhoferi and a referred juvenile
    • the big Tropeognathus
    • the holotype of Cearadactylus
    • the Kem Kem possibly-Chaoyangopterid mandible
    • the holotype of Aymberedactylus
    • the holotype of Santanaraptor, with its soft tissue
    • the holotype of Gondwanatitan
    • the holotype of Oxalaia
    • the holotype of Candidodon
    • the holotype of Coringasuchus
    • the holotype of Pepesuchus
    • numerous other pseudosuchians, including an Araripesuchus with soft tissue
    • at least one specimen of Araripemys
    • the holotype of Brasiliguana
    • Mesosaurus specimens
    • holotype of “Nyctosaurus” lamegoi
    • holotype of Araripesaurus castilhoi
    • Thalassodromine wing with soft tissue
    • holotype of Thalassodromeus sethi
    • cast of holotype of Tupuxuara leonardii
    • referred specimen of Tapejara
    • braincase of Anhanguera
    • holotype of Tupandactylus imperator
    • large anhanguerid humerus "

    This is only the tip of the iceberg because 20 million specimens were completely burnt to a crisp.

      Loading editor
    • This isn't only a loss; Its a sheer destruction ! Truly saddening, who knows how many species has been lost the paleotology... Brazil should've more careful to their important relics, they've some blame in this

        Loading editor
    • The dragnor wrote: This isn't only a loss; Its a sheer destruction ! Truly saddening, who knows how many species has been lost the paleotology... Brazil should've more careful to their important relics, they've some blame in this

      Don't blame people. They've probably didn't know. But don't blame people for that. It's still under investigation. If one's destroyed, then don't give up keep looking for it. They will find another one, one day. Perhaps a more complete skeleton. But don't blame people if you don't know who did it.

      Whoops. I never knew my bad.

        Loading editor
    • +Dinoanime1234 But the museum crew is/was ignorant enough to be a fire started. And their ignorance caused soo many important discoveries go to waste; some likely never be recovered

        Loading editor
    • Paleontologist faced this before. But you know what they did? Keep on digging. It would be waste just to give up. But who caused the fire?

        Loading editor
    • Dinoanime1234 wrote: Paleontologist faced this before. But you know what they did? Keep on digging. It would be waste just to give up. But who caused the fire?

      True; I am definetly not blaming the actual paleontologists; but the museum crew has some accountiblity in this; maybe some guard 'accidentally' caused fire; or some smuggler did it

        Loading editor
    • Yeah. It's still under investigation. I feel sorry, for the paleontologist. All their hard work gone.

        Loading editor
    • Dinoanime1234 wrote: Yeah. It's still under investigation. I feel sorry, for the paleontologist. All their hard work gone.

      Indeed a century worth of discoveries've destroyed Just in one day

        Loading editor
    • I think the loss of Oxalaia, Cearadactylus, Anhanguera, and Tapejara remains are among the worst of the losses. I think it's ridiculous how the Brazilian government didn't give a crap about fixing up the parts of the museum that were in disrepair. It's like they practically wanted the building to burn down!

        Loading editor
    • Hypnobrai wrote: I think the loss of Oxalaia, Cearadactylus, Anhanguera, and Tapejara remains are among the worst of the losses. I think it's ridiculous how the Brazilian government didn't give a crap about fixing up the parts of the museum that were in disrepair. It's like they practically wanted the building to burn down!

      Exactly; the museum crew and the government instution has definetly have blame in this; pure ignorance.

        Loading editor
    • May Oxalaia rest in peace. Twice.

      93 MYA - 2018
      Rip oxalaia
        Loading editor
    • Toomyx wrote: May Oxalaia rest in peace. Twice.

      93 MYA - 2018
      Rip oxalaia

      Definetly Agreed. Even althrough the chart you used is not accurate as much as the site you borrowed it from

      5a42bdcfed7c25373704558e7f65a4cc59001475 hq
        Loading editor
    • The dragnor wrote:

      Toomyx wrote: May Oxalaia rest in peace. Twice.

      93 MYA - 2018
      Rip oxalaia

      Definetly Agreed. Even althrough the chart you used is not accurate as much as the site you borrowed it from

      5a42bdcfed7c25373704558e7f65a4cc59001475 hq

      Yeah. I probably should've chose another image to represent it. Still.

        Loading editor
    • Toomyx wrote:

      The dragnor wrote:

      Toomyx wrote: May Oxalaia rest in peace. Twice.

      93 MYA - 2018
      Rip oxalaia

      Definetly Agreed. Even althrough the chart you used is not accurate as much as the site you borrowed it from

      5a42bdcfed7c25373704558e7f65a4cc59001475 hq

      Yeah. I probably should've chose another image to represent it. Still.

      Its utterly sad that the museum crew become so reckless and let the entire history of the south america burn like that

        Loading editor
    • noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

        Loading editor
    • R.I.P Pepesuchus

      may we always remember "MY BABY" who died.

      85 MYA - 2018
      Figura-3-Reconstrucao-artistica-de-Pepesuchus-deiseae-crocodiliforme-de-habitos
        Loading editor
    • was the holotype of Maxakalisaurus destroyed or was it just the reconstructed skeleton?

        Loading editor
    • Well as far as I can tell no one died. Good. but the fossils! So sad. ):

        Loading editor
    • this thread is dead it happened a year ago

        Loading editor
    • oh

        Loading editor
    • i should realy check the dates before I coment...

        Loading editor
    • probably

        Loading editor
    • Nooooooooo!!!!!! Not Oxalia! And the many others! I was scared about Irritator. Im actually going to the page right now. This is a tragic event. Thanks for letting us now.

        Loading editor
    • But will they rebuilt the museum and the fossils they had?

        Loading editor
    • Why do people keep posting on a currentl 2 year old post its sad i know now get over it

        Loading editor
    • I think it's sad that the Terror Bird Kelenken is exinct, my personal favorite I can't stop talking about, and the Dunkleosteus. 

      Dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals: Our gods 

      The meteorite: The devil 

        Loading editor
    • SERIOUSLY stop posting on a 2 year old post

        Loading editor
    • A FANDOM user
        Loading editor
Give Kudos to this message
You've given this message Kudos!
See who gave Kudos to this message
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.