Stygimoloch was a small pachycephalosaur that lived in the late Cretaceous, 66 million years ago, appearing several thousand years before the KT impact. The only present species is Stygimoloch spinifer.
Stygimoloch looked similar to Pachycephalosaurus except that it had horn-like projections sticking out of it's skull. It probably fed on tough plant matter and battled by ramming into each other.
This dinosaur measured about 10 feet long and bore a thick skull that was decorated with six large spikes that covered the top rim of its head. This may have served the dinosaur as a display of recognition, helping the dinosaur to identify its companions. It was a plant-eater and it lived in herds for protection from predators such as Tyrannosaurus, Dromaeosaurus, and Gorgosaurus. Males would often challenge one another to battle, either for females with which to mate, or for supremacy in the herd.It was previously thought that, like goats, they would butt heads with each other until one weakened and backed off, leaving the victor to choose a female or to lead a herd.
However, the lack of apparent cranial damage exhibited by recent fossil discoveries has given rise to the hypothesis that they did not actually butt heads with other members of the herd. Some conjecture that Stygimoloch headbutted other dinosaurs in their much softer underbelly regions, as a measure of self-defense against predation.
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom artist rendering of Stiggy the Stygimoloch. (Image below to the right) Artist credit: The Dinosaur Dad aka Thomas Sammons.
This little dino created a large amount of trouble in the Fallen Kingdom movie and added a bit of humor as well. Pronounced STIJ-i-MOL-ock, this little herbivore is seen somewhat as a mascot for the Fallen Kingdom movie as its product line saw success and helped to put the Stygimoloch on par with or more popular than it's larger relative the Pachycephalosaurus.
However, it is believed that Stygimoloch is in fact a chick of Pachycephalosaurus
- Stygimoloch appeared in a Disney Film Dinosaur.
- It also appeared in the arcade video game DinoRex as a playable dinosaur.
- It also appears in Jurassic Park Warpath.
- Stygimoloch appeared in Dinosaurs Decoded.
- Stygimoloch is featured in Dino Dan.
- It also appears in Dinosaur Train.
- It appears in Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.
- Stygimoloch will featured as a subadult Pachycephalosaurus in Saurian.
- Stygimoloch has been confirmed to appear in Jurassic World: Alive.
- Stygimoloch appears in Jurassic World: Evolution, based on the Fallen Kingdom dinosaur.
- Stygimoloch has been confirmed to appear in Jurassic World: The Game.