Name Selkirkia
family Selkirkidae
Class Unknown
Phylum Priapulida (Stem Group)
Period Cambrian (Chengjiang - Burgess Shale)
Diet Carnivore

Selkirkia is a genus of predatory priapulid worm known from the Middle Cambrian Burgess Shale. 142 specimens of Selkirkia are known from the Greater Phyllopod bed, where they comprise 0.27% of the community. In the Burgess Shale, 20% of the tapering, organic-walled tubes are preserved with the worm inside them, whereas the other 80% are empty (or sometimes occupied by one or more small agnostid trilobites). Whilst alive, the tubes were probably vertical, whereas trilobite-occupied tubes are horizontal. Members Cambrorhytium were originally described as Selkirkia before their identification as a separate genus.

They even appeared in other Shales like Wheeler and Emu Bay and first appeared in the Chengjiang.

They are even shaped like cones.

In Popular Culture

An Selkirkia was with a Opabinia and a giant carnivorous Trilobite in the Website The Burgess Shale on the Virtual Sea Odyssey.