|Name Translation||Lizard from Salta|
|Period||Late Cretaceous (73-67 mya)|
|Size||20 ft. (Adult)|
|Date of Discovery||1975|
Saltasaurus was a form of Titanosaurid which appeared in the Late Cretaceous, 73-67.3 mya. It was a medium- sized sauropod, with the typical bulky brachiosaur build, despite the fact that the two were only distantly related. What really makes Saltasaurus stand out from the crowd is the rows of large, bony, nodules, known as osteodemrs, which grew on the herbivore's back. Allsauropods have long necks. It was named after Salta, a town in Argentina that it was discovered in. They grew around 30 ft. long. They were also in Uruguay.
EggsThe females laid eggs in clutches of around 25 eggs each. These eggs can be found with well-preserved fossil embryos stil inside.
In popular culture
- In the enhanced-motion vehicle attraction Dinosaur at Disney's Animal Kingdom theme park, a saltasaurus is seen in the ride, mentioned as a "sauropod".
- It appears in The Land Before Time X: The Great Longneck Migration as a backround dinosaur.
- It appears in the TV series Dinosaur Planet in the episode Alpha's Egg, being chased by Aucasaurus and Carcharodontosaurus, when in life, it never met Carcharodontosaurus since Carcharodontosaurus lived in North Africa, not South America.
- It appears in Life After Dinosaurs where a Juvenile is inaccurately shown eating along side with an Edmontonia (which lived in North America), being chased & hunted by a Carnotaurus & was saved by it's herd.
- It also appears in Dinosaur King, being found in Brazil, when it really lived in Argentina and Uruguay.