Temporal range: Late Cretaceous
|An artist's illustration of Pachyrhinosaurus perotorum|
| †Pachyrhinosaurus canadensis|
Pachyrhinosaurus (pach·y·rhi·no·saur·us) (pack-EE-rye-NO-sore-US) or "thick-nosed lizard", was a ceratopsian dinosaur that lived during the Late Cretaceous Period (75-69 mya). It was a large herbivorous ornithiscian and was closely related to the more famous Triceratops. It lived alongside hadrosaurs like Edmontosaurus, ankylosaurs like Edmontonia, and tyrannosaurs like Albertosaurus. It was discovered in Alberta, Canada in 1946 by Charles Sternberg and named in 1950. Its range included Alaska and Alberta.
Discovery and species
It was a herding, social animal that usually traveled in large groups. It's distinguished by the large frill on the back of its head and the thick stump on its snout. It was about 26 feet (8 meters) long and weighed 4 tons.
Like most ceratopsians, it couldn't see very well, but was also muscularly built and was designed to defend itself instead of flee. Like other ceratopsians, it had a unique frill and horn structure, with several larger horns on the outside and two smaller horns on the top of the frill. It had four muscular legs that supported its heavily built body and could probably run at about 15 mph at top speed. It had a strong beak designed to snap branches and break off ferns and other plant material.Most recent restorations of the animal feature an assumed 'pelt' of protofeathering, given that a similar climate to today's Canada would require heavy insulation. This addition is not yet confirmed, but highly speculated in a likely aspect.
In the Media
- Pachyrhinosaurus was in the 2nd episode of The 4 part PBS Program The Dinosaurs! “Flesh on the Bones”.
- Pachyrhinosaurus was in the 2000 movie Disney's Dinosaur, where it was part of the herd and one was killed in the beginning of the movie by a Carnotaurus.
- Pachyrhinosaurus was seen in the Nova Documentary "Arctic Dinosaurs".
- It was also featured in the film March of the Dinosaurs, where it travels South with a herd of Edmontosaurus to escape the frozen winter.
- It also starred in the popular documentary series Jurassic Fight Club, where a herd of them were shown being hunted by a pack of Albertosaurus until one Pachyrhinosaurus and one Albertosaurus were seperated and they fought each other until the Pachyrhinosaurus was killed. However, it is inaccurately shown with a horn on its nose, rather than a boss.
- Pachyrhinosaurus also featured in the 8th episode and some TV episodes of Land Before Time as Mr. Thicknose.
- It's also made a cameo in Dinosaur King. However, it has a horn like structure, something the actual creature did not have/.
- Pachyrhinosaurus was planned to appear in Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom official trailers, but it was changed to Sinoceratops. However, while not in the trailers so far, it has been revealed that there are surviving Pachyrhinosaurus populations on Isla Nublar, although they will now face an impending danger, alongside many other creatures, in the form of an erupting volcano. It is possible that Pachyrhinosaurus was saved offscreen. Its name appears on the Lockwood Manor auction list, implying that at least one Pachyrhinosaurus and possibly others of it's kind was captured offscreen, and may have also escaped, or had been sold off.
- It is the main protagonist named Patchi, along with his older brother, Scowler, and his girlfriend, Juniper in the 2013 3D movie Walking with Dinosaurs.
- It along with the famous chasmosaurine Triceratops were the inspiration of the Ferructus in the 2005 remake of King Kong.
- Pachyrhinosaurus is a playable vivosaur of the earth element in Fossil Fighters and Fossil Fighters: Champions.
- It is one of the creatures in ARK: Survival Evolved. In real life, Pachyrhinosaurus was approximately 8 metres long and weighted around four tonnes, with a pattern of horns that's much less elaborate than the one illustrated in the dossier. It also didn't release chemicals in self-defense, instead charging the enemy, much like it's better known cousin did.
- It also appears in Jurassic Park: Builder.
- Pachyrhinosaurus is one of the dinosaurs in Jurassic World: The Game. It is a legendary tournament herbivore. Originally, along with the Kentrosaurus, it was a tournament dinosaur that did not yet have a tournament to fight in and could only only be collected by buying the Earth WWF pack. Now since March 8th, 2018, it could be won in a Pachyrhinosaurus tournament.