|A restoration of Monolophosaurus jiangi|
Zhao & Currie 1993
Zhao & Currie 1993
Monolophosaurus jiangi (meaning "single-crested lizard") is an extinct genus of tetanuran theropod dinosaur that lived in westen China from Asia during the Jurassic period. Although similar to Dilophosaurus by the crests, they are not related. Monolophosaurus was closer related to the more advanced carnivores like Allosaurus. It is distinctive by the single crest on its skull, which was probably for mating.Its crest could also be used to intensify the roar, it could be useful in communicating in a flock while hunting.
Discovery and naming
Monolophosaurus was a mid sized theropod that was about 5–6 meters in length, and weighing up to 1,500 pounds. This predator is most famous by its head crest, though it is more advanced then the primitive crested dinosaurs like Dilophosaurus. It was known to hunt in packs to bring downs sauropods like the more advanced carnivores during the later times of the Jurassic. It had lots of sharp, serrated teeth and a big, skinny head. The area that Monolophosaurus was found showed signs of water, so it is possible that this dinosaur probably lived on the shore of lakes and oceans. It possibly hunted defensive herbivores such as Tuojiangosaurus.
In popular culture
- Monolophosaurus is the only dinosaur to appear in the B-movie, Jurassic City.
- It appears in the video game, The Isle.
- Monolophosaurus is no. 010 of the Carnivore Twos that can be created in Jurassic Park III: Park Builder.
- Monolophosaurus appears in Jurassic World: The Game. It originally wasn't in the game but since August 4, 2015 it can be created for the player's park by unlocking it in the Level 55 battle arena.
- Monolophosaurus appears in Jurassic World: Alive.
- A Monolophosaurus figure was released as part of the toy-line for Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, as part of the "Battle Damage" line. This is the first time it has ever physically appeared in any Jurassic Park toy set.
- There is an exposed skeleton in the Field Museum of Chicago showing a Monolophosaurus brawling with a Tuojiangosaurus.
- Monolophosaurus appeared in the TV series Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous.