Ichthyornis (meaning fish bird, named after its fish-like vertebrae) was a bird from the Cretacous Period. Its fossils have been found in parts of Canada and the United States.
Ichthyornis lived mainly in the seashores of the Western Seaway. Its diet mainly consisted of fish, small animals, and carcasses. It was a toothed bird, having small sharp teeth lined in its jaws. Ichthyornis had a similar echological role to modern day, gulls, petrels, and skimmers. Ichthyornis was around 24 centimetres long with a skeletal wingspan of about 43 centimetres.
In The Media
- The Ichthyornis named “Ichy” appears in The Land Before Time IV: Journey Through the Mists.
- The Ichthyonis appears in the Big Screen Dinosaur Film Dinosaur.
- It appeared on the Big Screen again In Jurassic Park III.
- It appeared in its 1st Documentary Dinosaur Planet “Pod's Travels”.
- It appears In the video game ARK: Survival Evolved is tameable animal.
- The Ichthyornis once again appears to the Big Screen in the Disney Pixar Film The Good Dinosaur.
- Ichthyornis appeared on Dinosaur Train.