Hypacrosaurus is a Lambeosaurine hadrosaur from late Cretaceous Alberta, Canada and Montana, USA. It was about 32.8 ft (10m) long and weighed about as much as a rhino. Known from eggs and nests, juveniles through adults, and whole herds. On March 2020, paleontologists have found DNA and protein well preserved in the 75 million year old Hypacrosaurus skull.
Hypacrosaurus is most easily distinguished from other hollow-crested duckbills (Lambeosaurines) by its tall neutral spines and the form of its crest.
Discovery and history
The type remains of Hypacrosaurus remains were collected in 1910 by Barnum Brown for the American Museum of Natural History.
- One of the Hypacrosaurus made some appearances in one of The Land Before Time Movies.
- A family of Hypacrosaurus was in Discovery Channel's Documentary Dino Lab II.
- A Hypacrosaurus from the Royal Tyrrell Museum was seen in the 1998 IMAX Film T-Rex: Back to the Cretaceous.
- In Dink, the Little Dinosaur the episode "Encounter At Flatrock", Cornelius is a Hypacrosaurus was once a rival of Dink's.
- Hypacrosaurus appeared in the video game Fossil Fighters: Champions.