Temporal range: Late Triassic
|An artist's illustration of Herrerasaurus ischigualastensis|
| †Herrerasaurus ischigualastensis|
Herrerasaurus was one of the earliest dinosaurs ever to be discovered. It had hinged jaws and it could open it's mouth wide to consume chunks of meat. It had perfect serrated teeth like a saw. It also had short arm bones but had long hands.
Herrerasaurus means 'Herrera's Lizard' for the discoverer Don Victorino Herrera. Herrerasaurus grew to about 20 feet long, 10 feet tall, and lived in Argentina approximately 231 million years ago in the Late Triassic period. It was the biggest dinosaur predator of its time. Unlike the other giant killers, Herreasaurus stood on it's hind legs. It was a very fierce predator.
- The holotype specimen PVL 2566 was 3.5 meters long, and its femur measured 473 mm, which represents the largest upper leg bone found for this genus
- specimen PVL 2558a had an unknown body length; femur ~440 mm
- specimen PVL 2054 was 3.1 meters long; femur 385 mm
- specimen PVSJ 373 had an unknown body length; femur 345 mm
- specimen MLP 61-VIII-2-3 was 2.7 meters long; femur 335 mm
- specimen MACN 18.060 was 2.3 meters long; femur 286 mm; skull ~250 mm
- specimen PVSJ 53 had an unknown body length; skull 560 mm
- specimen PVSJ 407 had an unknown body length; skull 300 mm
In Popular Culture
- A Herrerasaurus‘ icon was located on a map of the Jurassic Park brochure, but the animal was never seen on-screen. On the map, Herrerasaurus‘ enclosure is located at the far northwestern end of the island where the tourist route does not connect. However, it is unknown if this enclosure was ever constructed.
- Herrerasaurus also appeared in Jurassic Park: The Game.
- Herrerasaurus apparently went into Cruelly after the Isla Nublar Incident of 2015 before Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom it is unknown if there are any surviving populations.
- Herrerasaurus can be created in Jurassic Park III: Park Builder.
- Herrerasaurus is listed on the Isla Sorna map seen in LEGO Jurassic World, but does not physically appear.
- A Herrasaurus figure will be featured in a toy-line for Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. This has been the first time Herrerasaurus has ever physically appeared in a toy set. The toy varsity resemblance to the JP:TG version.
- Herrerasaurus also appears in the first Zoo Tycoon game.
- Herrerasaurus also appears in The Lost World TV Series. It has a pair of crests similar to that of a Dilophosaurus.
- Herrerasaurus also appears in PBS The Dinosaurs! Part 3 - "The Nature of the Beast".
- Herrerasaurus also appears in the game The Isle.
- Herrerasaurus was added to Jurassic World: Evolution on April 17 in the Carnivore Dinosaur Pack. It accurately have the dual dew claws, but only have 3 fingers and pronated wrists.
- Herrerasaurus apparently appears in The Land Before Time series episode, "The Lonely Journey", running from the T. rex, Red Claw. It inaccurately have the killing claw of dromeosaurids.