|Name Translation|| Genus name: Dragon king|
Full name: Dragon king of Hogwarts
|Period||Late Cretaceous (65 million years ago)|
Dracorex (meaning Dragon King) is a genus of Pachycephalosaurs, from the Late Cretacous of North America, 65 million years ago. Dracorex, along with Stygimoloch, Nanotyrannus and a few others, was the last dinosaur to appear on Earth. The, so far only, species is Dracorex hogwartsia, meaning (Dragon King of Hogwarts). It is known from a complete skull and four vert. These were found in Hells Creek, South Dakota. Some scientists believe that it is a juvenile Pachycephalosaurus and an analysis of pachycephalosaur fossils has questioned the validity of another genus, Stygimoloch, and may represent growth stages for Pachycelphalosaurus. An article for UC Berekely states, "The confusion is traced to their bizarre head ornaments, ranging from shields and domes to horns and spikes, which changed dramatically with age and sexual maturity, making the heads of youngsters look very different from those of adults."
In The Media
- A Female Dracorex nicknamed Princess appeared in 4 episodes of the BBC Sci-fi show Primeval. She was the first non-theropod dinosaur to appear in the show. But her horns were longer and thinner in Primeval than her kind were in life, and looked more like the famous devil horns of its' relative, Stygimoloch. It also seems to have wing-like appendages, which it would've lacked in real life.
- Dracorex will featured as a juvenile Pachycephalosaurus in Saurian.
- Dracorex is featured in Dino Dan Trek's Adventures.
- Dracorex is seen as a statue in a diorama at the Lockwood Manor in it's 1st Big Screen appearance in Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.
- Dracorex has been confirmed to appear in Jurassic World: Alive.
- Dracorex has been confirmed to appear in Jurassic World: Evolution.